Disclaimer and Warnings

Warning: some mushrooms are poisonous, even deadly.

Henceforth the content of this said website and its context shall be used as information and each visitor from hereafter shall take it upon themselves to exercise extreme caution. This said website and its contents make no representation, and it does not offer sufficient information for a totally safe mushroom hunt because some mushrooms are poisonous, even deadly.
It is the sole responsibility of visitors to this site to positively identify their morels. The Great Morel site is not intended to be a morel identification guide and takes no responsibility for misidentifying morels. Visitors must understand that the consumption of some mushrooms may be harmful, and or fatal.
Discard all preconceived beliefs and remember the information herein maybe be questionable, and is not all factual, and any assuredness created from the reading of this said website should be reviewed because some mushrooms are poisonous and can even be deadly.
Therefore extreme heedfulness and circumspection shall be taken in any pursuit of the great morel mushroom (morchella). Any misconstrued notions gathered from said content are the responsibility of the visitor and therefore constitutes neglect of said visitor for inability to recognize some mushrooms are poisonous, even deadly.

Seriously – To help avoid mushroom poisoning, you should follow these five rules:

  1. Identify each and every mushroom you collect, and only eat those whose identification you are sure of. When in doubt, throw it out.
  2. Strictly avoid:
    • any mushroom that looks like an amanita (parasol-shaped mushrooms with white gills);
    • all little brown mushrooms;
    • all false morels.
  3. Some people are allergic to even the safest mushrooms. The first time you try a new wild mushroom, it is important that you eat only a small amount and wait 24 hours before eating more.
  4. As with other foods, rotting mushrooms can make you ill. Eat only fresh, non-decayed mushrooms and eat in moderation.
  5. Most wild mushrooms should not be eaten raw or in large quantities, since they are difficult to digest.
Visit the Morel recipes and preserving suggestions offered by visitors of the Great Morel for suggested preperation.
If you are a first-time hunter, you should make your first hunting expedition with someone who knows what a good morel looks like. There are several types of morels, some edible and others poisonous. It is recommended that all morel hunters –  rookies and veterans visit the FAQ page and review the section on Edible and Poisonous morels. Here you can do research from some of the top mycology sites on the internet to help better identify those not-so-friendly mushrooms.

Some other helpful hints:

  • Know the deadly poisonous mushrooms of your area (Amanatas, Galerinas, certain false morels) and those likely to induce severe illness.
  • Poisonous mushrooms do not darken onions, potatoes or silver placed in the cooking pot. You cannot be poisoned by touching a dangerous mushroom.
  • Do not eat any mushrooms whose stalk arises from a fleshy cup buried in the ground or has a bulbous base.

Use your head…
The Great Morel does not condone or promote trespassing of any kind. Any interpretation or assumption gathered from this web site is wrong. Use your head and respect the land you hunt upon, ask permission when needed, and most of all… take out what you take in – do not litter the  land you reap your rewards from!
The Great Morel will only post email addresses with permission and uses special Java code to keep “spam-bots” from scanning the pages of The Great Morel for your email address. This insures privacy to the finest.


The Great Morel Home